Spinach & Edamame Beans Soba Noodle Stir Fry
If you’re living with joint pain or osteoarthritis, it's widely acknowledged that symptoms can be alleviated by tinkering with your diet so that mealtimes include ingredients packed with anti-inflammatory properties.
Finding recipes that get the taste buds tingling is the easiest way to switch to a healthy diet. Our latest arthritis-friendly recipe is bursting with flavour and simple to make: a spinach and edamame bean soba noodle stir-fry.
Read on for the full recipe and if you give it a go let us know on Facebook.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Spinach is high in an antioxidant called kaempferol. A study in 2017 treated damaged cartilage with kaempferol and found it reduced inflammation and prevented the progression of osteoarthritis.
Olive oil has many properties that can help you look after your joints. Studies have shown it contains a compound called oleocanthal which prevents the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes - the same way ibuprofen works. It is widely accepted that - as part of a Mediterranean diet - it can benefit those living with joint pain. Be sure not to heat the oil too high as this can destroy some of its beneficial properties; a moderate heat is more than enough to achieve what you need here.
Sesame seeds contain a compound called sesamin that has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that can help protect cartilage. They might be small but they are mighty.
Edamame beans are, like oily fish, rich in omega-3 fatty acids which is great for joint health. What’s more, they are a great source of fibre and protein which can help with an overall healthy lifestyle.
Garlic contains diallyl disulfide, an anti-inflammatory compound that limits the effects of pro-inflammatory cytokines. As a result, garlic can help fight inflammation and may even help prevent cartilage damage from arthritis.
Serves: 2 Prep + Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 150g soba noodles
- 100g frozen edamame beans
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- Roughly a handful of Spinach
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Prepare soba noodles as per packet instructions and drain before putting to one side.
- Boil edamame beans for 3 mins and drain.
- Fry the edamame beans and chopped red pepper for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- For the dresing add all ingredients together and whisk. Adjust according to taste.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and place the spinach, edamame beans and red pepper on top.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top and serve.
News from flexiseq