Broccoli, Tofu & Brown Rice Stir-fry
If you’re living with joint pain or osteoarthritis, it's widely acknowledged that symptoms can be alleviated by tinkering with your diet so that mealtimes include ingredients packed with anti-inflammatory properties.
Finding recipes that get the taste buds tingling is the easiest way to switch to a healthy diet. Our latest recipe is simple to make but packed with flavour: broccoli, tofu and brown rice stir-fry.
Why not try it tonight and let us know how you get on via Facebook.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Tofu is made from soybeans which are high in fatty acids like omega-3. Omega-3 is fantastic for joint pain as it has anti-inflammatory properties. What’s more, Tofu is a low-calorie food that is high in protein - perfect for those looking to keep moving without putting on weight.
Broccoli is known as a superfood and for good reason; it’s packed with calcium which is known for its bone-building and strengthening attributes, is rich in vitamins C and K and contains sulforaphane which can help prevent or slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
There is still a lot of research being done into the benefits of ginger. However, what is known is that ginger contains two compounds - gingerols and shogaols - that possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Garlic contains diallyl disulfide, an anti-inflammatory compound that limits the effects of pro-inflammatory cytokines. As a result, garlic can help fight inflammation and may even help prevent cartilage damage from arthritis.
Olive oil has many properties that can help you look after your joints. Studies have shown it contains a compound called oleocanthal, which prevents the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes – the same way ibuprofen works. It is widely accepted that - as part of a Mediterranean diet - it can benefit those living with joint pain. Be sure not to heat the oil too high as this can destroy some of the beneficial properties in the oil; a moderate heat is more than enough to achieve what you need here.
Prep + Cook Time: 30 mins
- 200g broccoli cut into florets
- 250g firm or extra firm tofu cut into small cubes
- 15g of shredded ginger
- 2 diced cloves of garlic
- 1 roasted red or yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp chili powder
- 1tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1tbsp honey
- 250g brown rice
- Put the brown rice on to boil following the instructions on the pack.
- In a saucepan boil the broccoli for roughly 4 minutes.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a heated wok and fry the onions, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and mix together for a few seconds. Make sure the spices don’t burn by keeping the heat low.
- Add the tofu to stir-fry and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and add it to the stir-fry along with 2 tbsp of reserved water from the broccoli boil.
- Add the honey and pepper and stir-in.
- Drain and fluff the rice and make a bed of rice in a bowl.
- Add the stir-fry to the rice and serve.
News from flexiseq