Turmeric & Spinach Scrambled Eggs
If you’re living with joint pain or osteoarthritis, it's widely acknowledged that symptoms can be alleviated by tinkering with your diet so that mealtimes include ingredients packed with anti-inflammatory properties.
Finding recipes that get the taste buds tingling is the easiest way to switch to a healthy diet. Our latest arthritis-friendly recipe is the perfect way to start the day. Scrambled eggs with spinach and turmeric: it tastes fantastic, is easy to make and contains some great good-for-joint-health ingredients.
Give it a try and let us know how you liked it on Facebook.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have allergies to any of the ingredients in this or any of our other food related blog posts then it might not be suitable or safe for you. If in doubt please consult your GP or healthcare professional.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Turmeric has been shown to have antiinflammatory properties, and clinical trials have demonstrated that taking it as a supplement can be more effective for controlling joint pain when climbing stairs compared to taking ibuprofen.
Spinach is high in an antioxidant called kaempferol. A study in 2017 treated damaged cartilage with kaempferol and found it reduced inflammation and prevented the progression of osteoarthritis.
Chia seeds contain alpha linoleic acid which is a great source of omega-3. Omega-3 is essential for happy joints as it can help reduce joint pain and inflammation.
Olive oil has many properties that can help you look after your joints. Studies have shown it contains a compound called oleocanthal which prevents the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes - the same way ibuprofen works. It is widely accepted that - as part of a Mediterranean diet - it can benefit those living with joint pain. Be sure not to heat the oil too high as this can destroy some of its beneficial properties; a moderate heat is more than enough to achieve what you need here.
Prep time + Cooking: 15 minutes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp grated turmeric
- 100g spinach leaves
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp green pesto
- 2 tbsp coconut milk.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk together with the turmeric, chia seeds and coconut milk. Season with a pinch of salt if desired.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the olive oil into a pan and heat on a low to medium heat.
- Add the spinach to the pan and simmer for a couple of minutes until it has wilted, then remove and set to one side.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in the pan and add the egg. Mix and gently stir until it begins to cook through.
- Add the spinach and continue to stir until the spinach is folded into the egg mix.
- Place the eggs on a plate, or bread (in this instance we’ve used sourdough) and distribute the pesto over the eggs and serve.