Lemon Baked Cod With Garlic & Broccoli
If you’re living with joint pain or osteoarthritis, it's widely acknowledged that symptoms can be alleviated by tinkering with your diet so that mealtimes include ingredients packed with anti-inflammatory properties
Finding recipes that get the taste buds tingling is the easiest way to switch to a healthy diet. Our latest recipe is quick and easy to make and packed with arthritis-friendly ingredients.
Why not try this delicious lemon cod with garlic and broccoli on a bed of couscous and let us know how you like it on Facebook.
Extra virgin olive oil
Besides being an excellent low-calorie source of protein, cod contains a variety of very important nutrients and has also been shown to be useful in a number of different health conditions. It's a good source of blood-thinning Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as an excellent source of vitamin B12 and B6.
Garlic contains diallyl disulfide, an anti-inflammatory compound that limits the effects of pro-inflammatory cytokines. As a result, garlic can help fight inflammation and may even help prevent cartilage damage from arthritis.
Broccoli is known as a superfood and for good reason; it’s packed with calcium, known for its bone-building and strengthening attributes, is rich in vitamins C and K and contains sulforaphane which can help prevent or slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
Lemons are rich in Vitamin-C which can help the production of collagen which in turn can help repair damage to bones, amongst other things. They are also filled with inflammation-fighting antioxidants, perfect for those living with joint pain.
Olive oil has many properties that can help you look after your joints. Studies have shown it contains a compound called oleocanthal, which prevents the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes – the same way ibuprofen works. It is widely accepted that - as part of a Mediterranean diet - it can benefit those living with joint pain. Be sure not to heat the oil too high as this can destroy some of the beneficial properties in the oil; a moderate heat is more than enough to achieve what you need here.
Serves: 2 Prep + Cook Time: 25 mins
- 2 cod fillets
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup of plain flour
- ½ tbsp of paprika
- ½ tbsp of ground cumin
- ½ tbsp of salt
- ½ tbsp coriander
- 5 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of couscous
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 200g long stem broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Melt the butter and mix it with the lemon juice, garlic and the extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the flour, paprika, cumin, salt and coriander together.
- Coat both cod fillets in the lemon sauce and then coat it in the flour mixture. Save any sauce left for later.
- Pour the boiling water over the couscous and cover.
- Place the broccoli in an ovenproof dish - season with salt and pepper if desired - and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Seer the fish on all sides for 2-3 minutes to lock in the flavour.
- Place the cod fillets in an ovenproof dish - pour over the remaining lemon sauce and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes ensuring the cod is cooked through.
- Remove the cover from the couscous, fluff and create a bed of it on your plate.
- Flake the cod and place it on top of the couscous and serve with broccoli on the side.